An electrical company is fined in Scotland (November 22nd) for safety failings after a worker suffered burns to his face, hands and arms while carrying out live electrical testing at an electricity substation located at the premises of a manufacturing company. The worker, who was not wearing the correct protective equipment supplied to him, was thrown off the stepladder following an electrical flashover but was able to walk out of the substation unaided.
The investigation by Britain’s Health and Safety Executive (HSE) concluded the company had failed to carry out a suitable and sufficient risk assessment for the task of removing and replacing the bolted covers while the distribution boards were live, and had also failed to have in place a safe system of work by failing to ensure that the electricity supply to the distribution boards was de-energised during removal and replacement of the covers.
In Scotland the Crown Office and Procurator Fiscal Service has sole responsibility for the raising of criminal proceedings for breaches of health and safety legislation.
Section 2 of the Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974 states: “It shall be the duty of every employer to ensure, so far as is reasonably practicable, the health, safety and welfare at work of all his employees.”
The HSE Press Release is here.