COM/2014/0397 is a proposal (adopted European Commission 2 July 2014) to increase recycling rates in the existing Landfill Directive, the Packaging and Packaging Waste Directive, the Batteries and Accumulators Directive, the WEEE Directive and the End-of-Life Vehicles Directive.
* Recycling and preparing for re-use of municipal waste to be increased to 70 % by 2030;
* Recycling and preparing for re-use of packaging waste to be increased to 80 % by 2030, with material-specific targets set to gradually increase between 2020 and 2030 (to reach 90 % for paper by 2025 and 60% for plastics, 80% for wood, 90% of ferrous metal, aluminium and glass by the end of 2030);
* Phasing out landfilling by 2025 for recyclable (including plastics, paper, metals, glass and bio-waste) waste in non hazardous waste landfills – corresponding to a maximum landfilling rate of 25%;
* Measures aimed at reducing food waste generation by 30 % by 2025;
* Introducing an early warning system to anticipate and avoid possible compliance difficulties in Member States;
* Promoting the dissemination of best practices in all Member States, such as better use of economic instruments (e.g. landfill/incineration taxes, pay-as-you-throw schemes, incentives for municipalities) and improved separate collection;
* Improving traceability of hazardous waste;
* Increasing the cost-effectiveness of Extended Producer Responsibility schemes by defining minimum conditions for their operation;
* Simplifying reporting obligations and alleviating burdens faced by SMEs;
* Improving the reliability of key statistics through harmonised and streamlined calculation of targets;
* Improving the overall coherence of waste legislation by aligning definitions and removing obsolete legal requirements.
COM 2014 (397) is here.
COM 2014 (397) annexes are here.