2014: My thoughts on the year
* red tape challenge outcomes – see graphic at the end of this post.
* some self-employed persons to be exempt from H&S – consultation occurred on new ‘The Health and Safety at Work etc Act 1974 (General duties of Self-Employed Persons) (Prescribed Undertakings) Regulations 2015’ (date tbc) – if enacted – these would define the activities where self-employed persons would continue to have H&S duties.
* planning law 2014 – major changes have been occurring and are still proposed – this Parliament Briefing Paper is a good summary.
* ESOS – this is the UK response to Article 8 of the EU Energy Efficiency Directive (subscribers have already been Email Alerted about this).
* preparing for dry recyclables separation – commencing 1st January 2015 in England and Wales (material types to be collected separately where reasonably practicable) – already commenced 1st January 2014 in Scotland (no separate collection of different material types).
* flood control – Government Policy is here.
* referendum and devolution, Scotland Act 2012 and the Smith Commission – Scotland is to remain part of the UK with further powers devolved to it. The Smith Commission Heads of Agreement is here.
* land reform – consultation is occurring on proposals for further land reform.
* withdrawal of air and waste packages – plans afoot to scrap new air quality and waste recycling laws (Guardian article)
* F-gas regulation – new EU Regulation in force from 1st January 2015 (Email Alert going to subscribers)
US and World
* plastic bags – new state-wide California ban on single-use bags, Australian States bans for thin HDPE bags, COM (2013) 761: Proposal for a DIRECTIVE OF THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT AND OF THE COUNCIL amending Directive 94/62/EC on packaging and packaging waste to reduce the consumption of lightweight plastic carrier bags.
* UN climate change – Paris 2015 represents the last hope for agreement on cutting carbon emissions (Guardian article)
* TTIP – the Transatlantic Trade Investment Partnership has many implications. Basic information is here.
New Cardinal Environment Limited website coming end February 2015.