Welcoming the continuation of Rt Hon Liz Truss MP as Secretary of State for UK Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA).
DEFRA is a large UK government department responsible for policy and regulations on environmental, food and rural issues, covering:
* the natural environment, biodiversity, plants and animals
* sustainable development and the green economy
* food, farming and fisheries
* animal health and welfare
* environmental protection and pollution control
* rural communities and issues
DEFRA only works directly in England, by concordat works closely with the devolved administrations in Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland, and generally leads on negotiations in the EU and internationally.
DEFRA’s work and priorities are delivered by 35 separate agencies and public bodies, listed here.