Registration is now open for the UK’s new Import of Products, Animals, Food & Feed System (IPAFFS). In a no-deal, Brexit importers from non-EU countries must use IPAFFS from Day 1.
The (already issued no-deal) Guidance and Instructions were updated today (18th March 2019) – here.
Checklist for animals, animal products, high-risk food and feed to the UK (see the guidance)
• make sure you know the import notification process for importing from non-EU and EU countries
• speak to your exporters from non-EU and EU countries to make sure they’re aware of the changes
• for live animals and germplasm coming from the EU, notify the Animal and Plant Health Agency (APHA) or the Department of Agriculture, Environment and Rural Affairs (DAERA) in Northern Ireland; if they’re coming from outside the EU, notify the UK border inspection post (BIP) that your consignment is arriving at least 24 hours in advance
• for POAO and ABP from the EU that travel on official documentation (an Intra Trade Animal Health Certificate (ITAHC) or commercial documents like DOCOMs), notify APHA at least 24 hours before arrival
• for germplasm, products of animal origin (POAO) and animal by-products (ABP) subject to vet checks, notify the UK BIP (for non-EU trade) that your consignment is arriving in advance
• import non-EU high-risk food or feed of non-animal origin into the UK through a designated point of entry (DPE)
If the UK leaves the EU without a deal on 29 March, there will no longer be access to the EU’s import system TRACES (Trade Control and Expert System) for importing into the UK.
To ensure imports of live animals, products of animal origin, animal by-products, germplasm and high-risk food and feed not of animal origin can continue after exit, the UK is launching a new system called the Import of products, animals, food and feed system (IPAFFS).
The Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra) is releasing IPAFFS in phases.
From 29 March, you can use IPAFFS if you’re importing live animals, animal products and high-risk food and feed not of animal origin from non-EU countries.
You can register for IPAFFS now, and create notifications for consignments arriving after 29 March.