Exit day is 31st January (next Friday)
The Withdrawal Agreement Bill is now enacted as the European Union (Withdrawal Agreement) Act 2020 (the UK 2020 Act). It amends the European Union (Withdrawal) Act 2018, and will be added to the Brexit Law List, in the EHS Legislation Registers & Checklists of subscribers systems.
The Bill was enacted unaltered. I already Blog posted about the Bill contents before Christmas. The Bill Explanatory Notes are here.
In brief :
(1) The EU-UK Withdrawal Treaty is now ratified on the UK side.
(2) The EU-UK Withdrawal Treaty is here (ratification is proceeding on the EU side).
(3) The UK must set up an Independent Monitoring Authority to oversee the citizen rights elements of the Withdrawal Treaty.
(4) Both sides must set up the Joint Committee, and its sub-committees, to manage implementation of the Withdrawal Treaty.
(5) A transition period will commence from 1st February and last until 31st December 2020 (the UK 2020 Act terms this an Implementation Period).
(6) The Withdrawal Treaty provides for a single extension of the transition period for up to one or two years, the final date for application for this is end June.
The UK 2020 Act prevents the application. So for an application to be made, a further Act would need to be enacted on this point.
(7) The Northern Ireland/Ireland Protocol to the Withdrawal Treaty commences at the end of the transition period. I blog posted already about this Protocol. The UK 2020 Act stipulates the Protocol will be enacted by Regulations made under the UK 2020 Act.
(8) During the transition period, nothing substantive changes for business or citizens, and the Brexit Law statutory instrument changes to UK domestic law are delayed until 1st Jan 2021.
Hence, subscribers existing EHS Legislation & Registers are relabelled Brexit Transition.
(9) From 1st Feb, the UK is free to make trade deals, these trade deals could alter domestic law.
(10) From 1st Jan 2021, the Brexit Law statutory instrument changes to UK domestic law have legal effect. These freeze UK domestic law implementation of EU law as at 31st Dec 2020. In practice, however, the vast bulk of the UK Brexit Law was enacted in March/April 2019, and so unless reissued, it reflects EU law at that date.
Some EU law will need implementing in 2020.
I wrote separate Blog posts about EU Law in UK 2020 and EU Law in UK 2021.
During 2020, please expect to see further Blog posts on this topic.