A new private members’ bill is starting in the House of Lords on 21st July. The bill is titled ‘Minimum Energy Performance of Buildings Bill’. The Bill document is here.
In its policy statements, the Government has said –
• Homes should be Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) band C by 2035 where practicable, cost-effective and affordable
• All Private Rented Sector (PRS) homes should be EPC band C by 2028
• Mortgage lenders should ensure an EPC band C average for their portfolios by 2030
• The Secretary of State to take reasonable steps to assist owner occupiers to achieve EPC band C
• Non-domestic commercial lettings are to achieve EPC band B by 2030
The Bill aims to set these into law.
For a Private Members’ Bill to become law, the government has to support it (in effect take it over).
I will post again if this happens.
A Private Members’ Bill of similar title is also started in the House of Commons (text not available).