A new rule is proposed by the USEPA to clarify the federal water standards (WQS) regulation at 40 CFR 131 that interprets part of the federal Clean Water Act (CWA).
Here is the USEPA webpage giving information on the consultation that ends December 3, 2013.
The proposed rule addresses the following WQS programme areas:
(1) the USEPA Administrator’s determinations that new or revised water quality standards are necessary,
(2) designated uses for water bodies,
(3) triennial reviews of state and tribal WQS (water quality standards),
(4) antidegradation provisions to protect water quality,
(5) variances to WQS, and
(6) compliance schedule authorizing provisions.
Here are the changes proposed.
Here is the USEPA fact sheet on the subject.