I Blog posted this morning re the UK ETS. Publication of the UK ETS (which was already provided for in Law) is contained in the Energy White Paper (published today).
The Energy White Paper (CP 337) “Powering our Net Zero Future” is here.
It is a long document (170 pages) with many promises for consultations and targets.
A few I have singled out –
(1) significant strengthening of the Energy Performance Certificates system with an EPC target of C for domestic buildings by 2035 (and B for rented non-domestic buildings by 2030). Since most domestic properties are D or below, this is huge and will necessitate new law. Involvement of mortgage lenders is also being consulted on.
(2) re the UK ETS no further detail is given (other than is set out in my blog post this morning)
(3) an Industrial Decarbonisation Strategy to be published in Spring 2021
(4) targeting 40GW offshore wind by 2030, including 1GW floating wind, plus growing the installation of electric heat pumps from 30,000 per year to 600,000 per year by 2028
(5) commitment to make the UK continental shelf a net zero basin by 2050. This will necessitate a new legal approach
(6) commitment to join the UK to the World Bank’s ‘Zero Routine Flaring by 2030’
(7) a new strategy for the Oil & Gas Authority by end of 2020
(8) review of the Offshore Petroleum Regulator for Environment and Decommissioning